Saturday, March 17, 2012

An Exciting Book: Sasquatch

Sasquatch (1998)
Smith, Roland
Fiction
3/5 Stars
No disclaimers


     Dylan Hickock's dad, Bill, has always been a little strange. He goes on these sprees where he is really into something for a while and then just drop it completely. When Dylan's mom goes to Egypt for 5 months, Bill goes on a weekend hunting trip with some friends. When he comes back, Dylan notices that he is really into cryptids especially Sasquatch. Bill then tell Dylan that he had seen what he thought to be was Sasquatch when he was hunting on Mt. Saint Helens. Dylan and his dad go and join a group that is into Sasquatch and wants to catch him. They learn about an expedition to go and catch Sasquatch and are totally against it. They set out on their own to try and stop them from capturing Sasquatch but have to hurry because Mt Saint Helens is supposed to erupt any day. They meet an old man that lives up there and helps them with their very exciting quest.

     The group of men trying to catch Sasquatch were just doing it for money. They didn't care at all about the animal its self. Dylan and his dad were trying to stop them because they wanted to help the Sasquatch live because it deserved to. It just shows that you should do whats right even if there's nothing in it for you which is what I think the main theme in the book is.

     Sasquatch is written in a third-person objective perspective. It fits for the story line most excellently. I think it's probably the best perspective for the book because of the two different groups trying to find Sasquatch. Both of the groups are doing their own seperate thing so third-person objective can do that very effectively.

     This book is kind of an easy read but not super easy at the same time. I would say it is written mostly aimed towards high elementary school and middle school age readers. I think that it is written mostly for boys just because its more of a subject that they would like but girl could enjoy it too.

     I read this book because I thought the cover looked cool and the name Sasquatch just seemed really awesome to me. I was right! It was definitely a good book. Would I reccomend it? Yes, I would reccomend it to anyone interested in cryptids especially Sasquatch. I would also recommend it to middle school age readers because that is who I think it is intended for. School Library Journal says about the book, "With an exciting climax set amid a Mount Saint-Helens eruption, this fast-moving, suspenseful story provides lots of action and appeal." That statement is very true and I agree with it completely. Childrens Literature said about it, "Reading this novel felt like spending six days packing for a three-day vacation." I find that to be not true at all. I got into this book quickly and it was pretty good overall.



No comments:

Post a Comment